Thursday 2 February 2017

The Reality of Blogging Events ft. Reasons Why I'm an Idiot


Spoiler alert - I am a bit of an idiot and don't have the best of luck.

Hey guys,

So I was going to write up a post all about my time at the GoGlamGala, but I thought that I would do something a bit different. Don't worry, I do love those recount posts, as I love finding out about people's day-to-day lives (I'm nosey, you see), but I thought that I'd do something that may be more beneficial to others who may have felt this way. But I also thought that I would make use of the fact that half of it was my fault, so you can also have a laugh at how disorganised and unlucky I am.

Okay, so it all began with the initial worries; I'm going to look out of place, I'm not good enough to be there, I'm not going to look the part, I'm going to do somethings daft, what if I fall over on the red carpet and then everyone laughs and then my life will be over? As you can tell, I overthink everything to the MAX. But I was determined to go to this event, and the fact that I had paid for accommodation and travel was something that made me more determined.

Initially, I was so happy and so excited (and don't get me wrong, I was excited the whole time), but the fear just crept up on me, and I just kept thinking that I wasn't good enough to be there, as huge bloggers were going, and it was quite daunting. However, they ended up being absolutely lovely, and I turned out to not have anything to worry about. But it's me, and I worry regardless.



Okay, so this is where it starts to sum up my luck. I bought a dress online the week before (I know, cutting it a bit fine, but I left more than a week!), and paid for next day delivery. They ended up cancelling my order on the Monday due to a lack of stock, so I was stuck with no outfit (I have no fancy clothes at uni as I basically dress like a slob for the majority of my time here). So, I rang my dad at midnight on the Monday in a panic, and he managed to calm me down, and my parents ended up sending me an outfit from home. Crisis averted.

I then ended up getting the wrong train. Well, staying on the wrong train. I had to leave at 5 due to my boyfriend still being in lectures until then, so caught the first train that we could. Our tickets said that we had to change, yet we thought, as the train we were on was earlier, that we would therefore get there earlier. But, we were wrong. Fab. We ended up being 30-40 minutes later than anticipated (did I also mention that our train then got delayed). So yeah, I basically had 30 minutes to get ready and get to the event, which was a struggle, I'm not going to lie. I tried to be organised by doing my hair before, but it was raining (typical England) so I basically looked like a drowned rat, and had to straighten it when I got to the hotel anyway. But it was fine, I contacted the blogger who was running the event, and she was lovely, so I began to feel better.

Then we got lost. Right, I'm northern, I'm not great with the London Underground and I'm a bit shit when it comes to anything geographical, so I left it to my boyfriend. Granted, this confusion only delayed us by about 10 minutes, but our delay was starting to add up. We then ended up getting lost trying to find our hotel, but that was soon sorted (thank you Google Maps, you absolute beauty).

When we finally arrived at the event, I was feeling so nervous. Apart from all of the thoughts I was already having about being out of place, I was now late.

But you know what? It was a pretty amazing night. I got to meet some lovely bloggers (such as the gorgeous Maria from www.marusjastyle.com, you should definitely go and check out her blog, it's FAB!), I got to sip on cocktails (which were AMAZING!!) and had a laugh with my boyfriend. Honestly, about 10 minutes in, and all of my worries had gone.



Alex hates this photo because his 'legs look short', but I thought it was cute so he's going to have to make do with short legs.

To sum up, I just wanted to say that even if you do feel like you can't do it, or you're not good enough, or even that you're just very nervous, if you want to do it, do it! I honestly am so glad that I went to this event, and it reminded me of why I love blogging. Everyone was so supportive, and it was just great to be in a room with such like-minded and lovely people. I loved every minute of it, and I was so fortunate to have been invited. Plus, I got to meet two of my favourite bloggers, Lydia Elise Millen and Victoria from In The Frow.

And I apologise for my face in the photo below, but I was fan-girling a bit, I'm not going to lie!




I'm sorry for the waffley post by the way, it's just that I have seen a few people post that they also get nervous before events, so I just wanted to say that it is completely normal to feel this way, so don't let it hold you back. Plus, I thought it would be good to share my stressful/hilarious experience to make you all feel a bit better about yourselves (I love a good self-deprecating post don't I), and to show that you can do it! Although, don't feel pressured to, but if you want to, then just go for it!

Thanks for reading, you lovely lot, and I hope to see you all again soon.

Much love,

Grace x

2 comments :

  1. I was really nervous too! Nice to hear I wasn't the only one. You looked stunning btw so it could be a good thing your dress got canceled;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nerve-wracking, but I'm so glad that I went! Plus, I got to meet you, which was fab! Aw thank you, as did you! X

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished