Wednesday 29 March 2017

Amsterdam Travel Diary | Spring 2017





Hey guys,

So, as you probably know by now, I visited Amsterdam last weekend, and I had such an amazing time. It was one of the most beautiful cities I have visited, and I loved every second of exploring it. Therefore, I thought that I would write a travel diary, as one, I love looking back at what I got up to (I have major holiday blues right now) and two, I thought it'd be fun to do!

On the first day, we decided to just have an explore of the central part of Amsterdam, so wandered around the canals and the nine streets. It was such a lovely spring day (we were so lucky with the weather, it was bright sunshine every day that we were there), so it was great to just amble and see what we came across. As you can probably guess, we stopped for a lot of pictures.





On the second day, we decided to visit the Anne Frank House. Even though it was incredibly emotional, it's definitely somewhere that you should visit. It was quite surreal to be in the actual house where Anne Frank and her family hid for 2 years; her story is truly heartbreaking, but one that needs to be known by all.

We then visited the Rijkmuseum, after getting a few photos next to the Iamsterdam letters of course! We were a bit late visiting the Rijkmuseum, but still got to see a couple of exhibits, and it was really interesting to find out more about the history of the Netherlands.





We then visited the Heineken Experience (which was Alex's favourite part), where you were given a tour of the original brewery, and shown how they make Heineken (as well as given three half pints to enjoy!). It was very interactive, with photo booths, a ride and videos to show you how it was (and still is) made. Plus, at the end, you can sit in the bar and enjoy your beer for as long as you like, and it's such a great atmosphere.



We then decided to go out for cocktails, as it was our last night. I had found one on Trip Advisor (did you really go on holiday if you didn't use Trip Advisor?) that looked amazing called Door 74, but when we got there, it looked like a boarded up building. However, I had read that it was a 'speak-easy' kind of bar, so I was determined that this was where we were meant to be.

However, Alex was adamant that it was closed and was no longer there, yet there was a doorbell to press. After a while of us debating whether to go or try the doorbell, Alex finally tried it, and a man came to the door (I was very smug, as Alex only rang it to prove me wrong). Here, he ushered us in, took our coats and gave us a table. He then gave us a menu, which was the coolest menu I had ever seen. It was designed like a map of Amsterdam, and had all the cocktails listed on the back. It was great to try these out, and we ended up having two each because they were honestly the best cocktails I have ever had.

So if you are ever in Amsterdam and looking for a cool, quirky place to have some cocktails, then definitely check out Door 74. And don't be put off by the fact that it looks closed, as it's very much open! However, I would recommend booking, as we were very lucky to walk in as we did, as every other table was full.










Alex very much liked his owl cup.

On the last day, we decided to have an amble again, and ended up in Vondelpark. This was such a beautiful park, and was perfect for blog photos. We ended up spending the majority of the day here, as it was such a gorgeous, sunny day, so we just laid on the grass and chilled.




We then went for an explore of the park, and obviously took pictures of the surroundings. I also made Alex take picture for future blog posts, as you never know when you're going to need a candid picture of yourself in a park, am I right?? I also 'made' him pose for photos (I say 'made' as he posed himself, and even though he moaned, he absolutely loved it).






We then sadly had to leave this beautiful city to come back to crappy English weather. Sad times. However, I will definitely be returning to Amsterdam, as it was such an amazing place to explore, and there is plenty left of the city that I haven't yet seen.

I also hope to travel to more places this year, and I hope to document it all on here. I hope you enjoy these posts, as I genuinely love writing them.

Where would you like to visit?

Much love,

Grace x


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished